On this page: Multifaith Competency Screening | Ads: (Jobs | Professional Development)
Multifaith Competency Screening Certification: How To Obtain a Certificate* Or Renew** [Click here : Application form/kit]
*The Canadian Multifaith Federation (CMF) (formerly, Ontario Multifaith Council, OMC) provides a service that ensures Spiritual and Religious Care Providers (Chaplains) have sufficient knowledge and experience to provide and coordinate spiritual care and religious services in a multifaith setting. A competency process has been developed to enable candidates to demonstrate their knowledge of multifaith issues and their ability in working with persons from diverse faith backgrounds.
CMF recommends this certification to be a prerequisite for Spiritual & Religious Care positions in public, private, not-for-profit and academic institutions. Many sectors have included this certification as an additional step in the hiring process. Other sectors have used this certification for their volunteers working in the areas of spiritual and religious care.
CMF conducts competency interviews at various times throughout the province. Using a standard format, based on the necessary professional competencies, the Competency Committee seeks to determine the candidate’s knowledge and skills for work in a multifaith environment. The Competency Committee takes notes during the interview and after consultation informs the candidate of its decision.
Successful candidates receive a letter of Recommendation and certificate attesting to their competence. Competency is valid for five years. Candidates, who are not successful, are given information about the areas they need to address. Unsuccessful candidates may appeal the Competency Committee’s decision to the CMF and may be granted another interview. Competency documentation is confidential and is kept on file for five years.
- CMF – CERTIFICATION – APPLICANT HANDBOOK [pdf] [A typed copy is required; if it helps, pl ask for a word file]
Along with the application the candidate must submit a current resume, and a currently valid police clearance certificate.
**Renewal of your Competency Certificate. Ask: email@example.com
Readings (@ the CMF Library; access is by membership only):
- The art of spiritual guidance. a contemporary approach to growing in the spirit Gratton, Carolyn. Downey, Michael, Foreward.. New York Crossroad, 1992. 2000
- Dance of the Spirit. The Seven Steps of Women’s Spirituality Harris, Maria. New York Bantam Books 1991
- How to be a perfect stranger : a guide to etiquette in other people’s religious ceremonies Woodstock, Vt. Jewish Lights
- Multifaith Information Manual. An authoritative guide to religious rights and accommodations, 6th ed. Toronto, Canadian Multifaith Federation, 2017 Product details and order form
- Pastoral counseling across cultures. Augsburger, David W. 1st ed. Philadelphia Westminster Press c1986 Book 253.5 A
- Spiritual Questions for the Twenty-First Century. Essays in Honor of Joan D. Chittister Chittister, Joan D. Maryknoll, N.Y. Orbis Books 2001
- Spiritual Assessment. Handbook for Helping Professionals Hodge, David R. Botsford, CT North American Association of Christian Social Workers (NACSW). 2003
- Caring for Dying People of Different Faiths: Rabbi Julia Neuberger, CRC Press; 2003
- The World’s religions. Smith, Huston. [San Francisco] Harper SanFrancisco c1991
- Human resources guide to the duty to accommodate / Barbara G. Humphrey. Publication info: Aurora, Ont. : Aurora Professional Press, c2002
- Religious Diversity and Human Rights, Irene Bloom, Columbia university press, 1996
The Canadian Multifaith Federation (CMF) advertises spiritual & religious care/chaplaincy and related
employment opportunities. Contact us for advertisement.
Current Job Openings:
Bookmark this page. Something coming soon
Recent Job Ads:
- Duty Chaplain, at Thunder Bay Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, Quote: Job ID 126175, by Monday, October 1, 2018.
- Spiritual Health Practitioner, St. Joseph's Health Centre, Sudbury
- Duty Chaplain (Job ID 123238) - Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Professional Development/Educational opportunities:
- February 14, 2019
Ottawa Region Charity & Not-for-Profit Law Seminar - Hosted by Carters Professional Corporation on Thursday, February 16 from 8:30 to 3:30 at Centurion Conference and Event Center, Ottawa. Registration & more details: www.carters.ca, 1-877-942-0001, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 25th Annual Church and Charity™ Law Seminar;
Hosted by Carters Professional Corporation, Thursday November 8 2018 at PORTICO Community Church, Mississauga
- The 24th Annual Church and Charity Law Seminar, is hosted by: Carters Professional Corporation, at PORTICO Community Church, Mississauga, Ontario.
- First International Conference on Humanizing Health Care: Enhancing Lives. Transforming Care—Bruyère Continuing Care Conference. The conference will be at the Fairmont Château Laurier, downtown Ottawa, Canada.
- HealthCare Chaplaincy Network’s 4th Annual Caring for the Human Spirit(R) Conference, Chicago, IL
- Ottawa Region Charity & Not-for-Profit Law Seminar on Thursday, February 16, 2017. Hosted by: Carters Professional Corporation
- Online Support Tools from the Canadian Virtual Hospice
- The Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC), Nipissing University and Canadian Multifaith Federation (CMF) :Training on the OHRC Policy on preventing discrimination based on creed .
- RENEW at Knox College, Toronto,
- Annual – Church & Charity Law Seminar
- Survey: Religion & Science Research Study, York Univ.,
- Montreal’s 3rd global conference on World’s Religions After September 11: From Faith to Interfaith to discuss critical issues of faith in today’s world.
- Call for Nominations for Bereavement Authority of Ontario Faith-Based Advisory Committee
- Muslim Studies at Emmanuel College, Emmanuel College is a theological college of Victoria University in the University of Toronto.
- Online Restorative Justice Certificate, at Simon Fraser University
- Collaborate and learn with healthcare colleagues and renowned international speakers at the 6th Annual Spirituality and Health Summer Institute, Washington, DC.
- Conference: Touch in Counselling and Spiritual Care: Organized by The School of Counselling, Psychotherapy and Spirituality, Saint Paul University and The Ontario Northeast Region of the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care, Saint Paul University, Ottawa